Mental Health and Work


Mental Health and Finding Work


For the past 5 months I have looked for work, with that I have struggled to find work. I’ve actually lost count at the amount of jobs I’ve applied for.

I’ve been to so many interviews in that time as well, I never ended up hearing back from half of them. Which I find really rude that they just don’t get back.

I did actually start a job but unfortunately it didn’t work out for me, the environment made me extremely uncomfortable and stressed. This lead me to leave the same day I started. Some jobs just aren’t great for mental health.
I then went for an interview/assessment day at my dream job, it was about 5 hours long. I got the job they offered me it and I signed the contract and everything. After a month of waiting to start, suddenly I was declined a job because of previous time off for mental health. I’m 99% sure this is discrimination but I have no idea how to go about it so I’m just letting them win this.

Since this has happened I’ve lost a lot of confidence to work, I feel like I will be continuously hit the same dead end. I feel I will experience this discrimination all over again. I was supposed to go for an interview at my previous job but they said that I had HR issues which I never, it really annoyed me but I guess it wasn’t meant to be.

I am really nervous about going for jobs again now, I have so much built up stress and anxiety. I’ve had interviews but some I’ve not managed to get myself to because I’ve just been way too anxious and worked myself up.

The fact I am 20 years old and feel like I’ve been forced into not being able to work again really upsets me. I can’t afford not to work I need a job. I literally have no clue what I am going to do anymore. I have started working with a vocational worker though so I’m hoping that will help me.

People with mental illnesses still have a life, they still need to feed themselves and pay bills. We are still human, we still have feelings and emotions. We deserve to work just as much as someone who hasn’t got a mental illness. Everyone has mental health and everyone has physical health. We all deserve equal opportunities and not to be judged on our past.

Thanks for reading.

Hannah x

Comments

  1. Hannah, I'm sorry to hear that you're not able to find work due to "discrimination". I had to go through a special work placement. It worked like this, I could choose a place I wanted to work, and they would have to let me work there for 6 months. Then they had the choice to hire me. I understand your frustrations, because it's not fair to not be able to get a job due to Mental Health Illness. I am much older than you are, but I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed reading your blog.I think if this blog was somehow able to help you make some money, that might solve your dilemma of finding work. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting about work placements!! I wonder if I can find something like that! Thank you so much for reading, I do have adverts on my blog if people click on I get a small amount but not much!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely know the feeling. I was so fed up with being rejected and declined on the basis that my mental health was bad. I promise you, that you will find something sooner or later and it will be the perfect job for you. Keep trying girl, and dont let anyone get you down. I wish you luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s so hard to feel like this! Thank you so much though it means a lot x

      Delete
  3. I’m so sorry that you’ve been dealing with this type of discrimination! Keep your head up and keep trying! I went through a similar experience where I applied for over 80 and heard back from 2, got interviews, and never heard back afterwards. It takes me a lot of time to prepare for interviews because of my anxiety and I’m sure that’s why I didn’t get the job. I find myself stuttering a lot and getting flustered with myself. I know it looks bad to them but if they gave me the time to prove myself I could show them I’m a great worker. Good luck! Keep trying!

    Lena // www.ourchaoticmess.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is extremely stressful not finding a job. I hope you’re doing okay I relate to the stuttering part so much it’s a horrible experience! Practice makes perfect though x

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry that you're having trouble getting a job. I believe in being upfront with my Mental Health Issues when I'm applying for jobs. I will say I think generally being honest with a future employer is important. I do however understand your frustration in not being able to find work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like being honest is the easiest way especially as when references come back saying you’ve had time off for mental health problems it’s easier to just be forward from the start (if they ask). It is a tough journey finding work!

      Delete
  5. Hi Hannah - I am sorry you have had so many problems in finding work. That must really add to your stress. I found this online from the NHS pages. You may have already tried JobCentre Plus, but it says that they have disability advisors that can help you get back into work. I guess it also depends on how helpful your local JobCentre is! Anyhow, here is the link and I hope it might help you https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/returning-to-work-after-mental-health-issues/#looking-for-a-new-job
    All the best in your search for a new job - Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much that is really helpful. I do have a vocational worker within my mental health team so I think that’ll be helpful for me. I will look into it though however, my jobseeker advisor is absolutely lovely and understanding which is a complete blessing.

      Delete
  6. Hannah, it is so difficult to coordinate some activities in life. Keep your chin up and your eyes on the prize

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hannah, I've had a similar experience as well. I seeked help and found an insurance company called Insurance Line One that helped me get affordable insurance and find a great doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an informative post. Got a lot of info and details from here. Thank you for sharing this and looking forward to reading more of your post.
    how to get over depression

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment