Trauma


Trauma is something I was ashamed of for years because I just didn't know how to process it. I was worried what others will think of me if they found out about my traumas. I was worried that if people found out about me going through certain traumas I have been through they would think I was weak and that I was not at all resilient.

In fact I believe trauma has made me stronger and more resilient, after years of thinking I was weak and unable to be resilient, I've realised how much trauma has bought me to learn more skills than I probably would have if I hadn't have gone through trauma.

I suppressed my traumas for years, I have had multiple traumas happen to me and I suppressed all of them. My last trauma was 2014, I suppressed my traumas for 3 nearly 4 years and it all came out, even though I was never stable mentally I had always had symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) from my first trauma back in 2011. However I was only 13, BPD isn't officially allowed to be diagnosed until you are 18. It wasn't until December 2017 I really started to notice my symptoms severely, the self harm the suicidal ideation and perfectionism and black and white thinking really took its cause, I was working as a healthcare assistant for the NHS doing my dream job. I started getting worse lots of time off work and I became embarrassed and I started to hide self harm by just not even going to work, it took a toll and I ended up in A&E December 2017. My breakdown which never properly ended it was more of a breakthrough because this was when I finally reached out for mental health support. It took until June 2018 to get that help when I was referred to the recovery team. That's when my real recovery began, September of 2018, I still remain under the team now and attend therapy now for managing BPD and trauma. I will eventually be going on to doing trauma therapy once I have done dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) for 18 months to 2 years.

Trauma can affect everyone differently but for me I chose to suppress it and keep quiet. When I finally started to talk about it I was told I was making it up by people who hardly even knew me, or who just made up lies about me.

I am strong and resilient because I have learnt to be and I am still learning to be, it will never be perfect and recovery is a life long journey that I will ever be thankful for.


Hannah x

Comments

  1. I like what you said about a breakdown turning into a breakthrough. I've also learned to believe in that statement. Because of my breakdowns, I've become the person I am today, someone who is stronger, kinder and more compassionate. I am more open to the idea of love and self-love. I've learned that it's ok to be vulnerable. It's actually shows emotional strength. Seeing vulnerability as a strength and not a weakness has changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you’ve learn to love yourself and be more compassionate. I’m so proud of you.

      Delete
  2. It’s great to come across a blog. we provide ketamine therapy Denver at affordable prices. for more info visit our website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. You’re doing a great job. Please Keep it up. MAPS Therapist Training Program

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. Ketamine Treatment for Chronic Pain Tinley Park

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article, Which you have shared. Your article is very informative and useful. Thanks for sharing this article here. Ketamine Therapy bakersfield ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have shared a nice article here. Your article is very informative and useful. Thank you for sharing this article here. Psychotherapy in Bakersfield, CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire this article for well-researched content and excellent wording. Thank you for providing such a unique information here. Online Psychotherapy Service in London

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is very valuable which you have shared here about Professional Counsellors in Abbotsford..... I appreciate your efforts which you have put into this article and also it is a gainful article for us. Thank you for sharing this article here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've written an excellent post, and you've shared it with us. Your article provided me with some unique and useful knowledge Brain Stimulation Therapy For Depression. I appreciate you sharing this text with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The data in the post you posted here is helpful in light of the fact that it contains probably the best data accessible on couples therapy near me. Much obliged for sharing it. Keep doing awesome

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment